Friday, April 7, 2017

Karen Carpenter: The Unreleased Solo Songs - Jimmy Mack

"Jimmy Mack"



“Jimmy Mack” – Of course Karen Carpenter had to put her solo mark on a Motown tune. With Carpenters she had previously enjoyed huge success with the Motown classic “Please Mr. Postman” and gave a spirited vocal performance.

Karen put a fun spirited upbeat early 80’s spin on “Jimmy Mack” very much in the same vein as Manhattan Tranfer’s “The Boy From New York City” or Diana Ross’ “Why Do Fools Fall In Love.”

"Jimmy Mack" was originally a Top Ten hit in 1967 for Martha and the Vandellas. Just a year earlier Karen (with her brother Richard) recorded a full length studio version of another Martha and the Vandellas hit, "Dancing In The Street," for an album that was to be released in 1979. But due to Richard's stay at Mennengers in Kansas - to treat his addiction to quaaludes - the album was scrapped and was never released. Carpenters' recording of "Dancing In The Street" was fully pop while Karen's solo recording of "Jimmy Mack" contained underlying hints of R&B in both the music and Karen's vocal performance.

"Jimmy Mack"


Jimmy Mack (Lyrics)

Jimmy Mack Jimmy,
Oh Jimmy Mack when are you comin' back.
Jimmy Mack Jimmy,
Oh Jimmy Mack when are you comin' back.

My arms are missing you,
My lips feel the same way too.
I tried so hard to be true, like I promised to do.
But this boy keeps comin' around,
tryin' to wear my resistance down.

Hey Jimmy, Jimmy,
Oh Jimmy Mack, when are you comin' back.
Jimmy, Jimmy, Oh Jimmy Mack, you better hurry back.

He calls me on the phone about three times a day.
Now my heart's just listening to, what he has to say
But this loneliness I have within,
Keeps reaching out to be his friend

Hey Jimmy, Jimmy,
Oh Jimmy Mack, when are you comin' back.
Jimmy, Jimmy, Oh Jimmy Mack, you better hurry back.
Need your loving, need your loving.

I wanna say I'm not getting any stronger,
I can't hold out very much longer
Trying hard, to be true,
But, Jimmy he talks just as sweet as you.

Hey Jimmy, Jimmy,
Oh Jimmy Mack, when are you comin' back.
Jimmy, Jimmy, Oh Jimmy Mack, you better hurry back.

I wanna say I'm not getting any stronger,
I can't hold out very much longer...

Lyrics written by Eddie Holland (and Lamont Dozier)


If you have not yet purchased Karen's solo album it is well worth it... here's a link to purchase it at amazon. com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008E00706/ref=nosim/populasongsmu-20


Please sign the petition to get Karen's unreleased songs completed and released: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/urge-richard-carpenter-to-complete-and-release


JIMMY MACK

1 comment: